New goal: Boston

A lot has happened in the short few weeks since my half marathon. I have to keep going back to the feeling of completing the race in goal time for motivation...

I started using runcoach.com after my friend Scott and his wife recommended it to me. At the same time I decided to get serious about training for the Boston Marathon. The starting line is only a few miles away and I will be 40 next year, so why not?!

Not sure if I've discussed my plan to try to secure an official number in the marathon. So here they are:


  1. Sponsorship from Biogen - my neighbor is former marketing director for Avonex, the drug I am on. He said he would bring it up with his replacement and try to create some momentum. I haven't seen him for a month, so no progress there.
  2. Available bib from a soccer mom on my son's team that I coach. Talked to her two days ago, she asked about #1 and I said nothing yet. So she is going to ask her friend if I can have the number. Fingers crossed!


My new plan includes a few challenges. Speed workouts on Tuesdays, swimming training on Wednesdays and biking on Saturdays. I have done the speed workouts and they are fun, but this last one left my knee sore. I ran on it last night and it doesn't feel worse for the wear. Went back to my Brooks instead of the Newtons - the Newtons are challenging for some reason. I really want to improve my form. I think I need to go back to Danny Abshire's book on Natural Running Form and start in on the strength exercises full time.

I am doing good on core exercises, though I slowed down from 5-6 times per week to 2-3. I need to pick that up to keep the good core I've worked for.

Supposed to find time to run 6 today. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter 2015 Training Plan

Quarterly update :)

MuckFest MS 2014