Played indoor soccer tonite

Am driving back home after stopping for dinner.

I felt good, I would say about 80% back to normal. There was still some spasticity in my right leg, the numbness in my toes was there, but it didn't get worse like I had worried it might. All in all I was very, very happy with my first game back. It was night and day compared to my play before steroids. I couldn't keep my balance, I couldn't pass, dribble, or shoot, and the worst part is that my brain knew my body wasn't right -- it's hard to explain how it feels to just have your body not responding like normal, how your mind envisions it just before a shot, or a pass.

From a technical perspective, it wasn't my best game, my shot was off, I think it had a bit to do with the tightness in my legs and the general change in muscle tone that I've experienced. Formerly, my leg muscles have been tightly coiled and wiry, now the tone is more relaxed, even my calf muscles aren't as tight as normal. Perhaps that's a good thing, but for now, it is hard to get used to.

I'm looking forward to starting up with a physical therapist who is experienced in treating MS, hopefully someone who can understand my condition and how I'd like to develop more strength and flexibility -- well, who wouldn't, but I think it's an important step to getting back to normal.

Let's see, I had 3 assists or so, I had maybe one or two decent shots on net, and about 4 that I just completely mis-hit. Normally I would expect to convert 2-3 of the chances I had, and mis-hit maybe a couple less. I can't complain though, I was nervous going into the game about how I would feel, and my body didn't let me down this time. It felt almost as natural as usual, and the fatigue was good fatigue. I'll sleep well tonite and enjoy the satisfaction of a successful comeback!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Still cocky about your game, I see...

Glad to see that you are doing better since the treatment began!
Unknown said…
I like to think of it as confidence :) Hopefully I can shake off the rust and be close to normal again.

Popular posts from this blog

Winter 2015 Training Plan

Chilling at the Cape House