Into the ER

The ER is my favorite place! LOL

Went through my history with the ER nurse, who was a little distracted and jumpy. It was hard to summarize things for her. I thought I might be having a bit of 'roid rage', alas, Kris said she was being a bit upity as well. Thanks hon, but if I had had some roid rage that would have been cool too! I could be a little more pushy during my hospital visits to make sure I'm getting all the care and assistance I need, I tend to be a little passive.

So, I got into the room and out of the general chaos that was the waiting room, my headache was only a 3-4 standing and 1-2 sitting. But, it was an 8 during breakfast and a 6 during the infusion. I was seeking long-term relief. The Dr. came in and described the routine. Since my headaches were not 9-10's and they were not continual since Firday; I was not a severe case. I had a spinal headache from the Lumbar Puncture. Which can be serious.

So, IV, saline drip followed by an anti-nausea medication, a souped up Ibuprofen and a big bag of caffeine administered through said IV! An EMT attempted my first, into a vein in my left hand, after basically missing, and then fiddling with it for a bit with the nurse they gave up. Ugh. The nurse came over to my right arm, which is historically better, and set up the needle and tube inside my vein in the blink of an eye. Yay.

I had a bit of a reaction to the anti-nausea; a flushed, feverish feeling in my face and shoulders. So, the nurse, who was a nice guy, added some perscription benadryl and I felt better shortly. I finished the caffeine and talked to the doc. In brief, he said that we were hopefully on the tail end of the spinal headache and this drug panel should be enough, in addition to some rest.

Well, since I'm hopped up on caffeine and watching the Red Sox I won't take up much more of our time here. I've got a prescription for Fioricet to take as needed, and some energy drinks. Phase 3 of the steroid infusion tomorrow and then, hopefully, a restful afternoon and evening down in the cape with all the kids in the family. And light at the end of the tunnel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter 2015 Training Plan

Quarterly update :)

MuckFest MS 2014