Quarterly update!

Yeah it has been a while. I suppose that is a good thing, I tend to think about my blog when things are not going well. Recently as far as running and working out - they have been.

I've been going at a steady clip of 3 runs 2-3 lifting sessions per week for a good 6 weeks now. I feel great except a little sore hip flexors today. I will have to work that out on a foam roller and stretch a bunch.

Some news on the gadget front - I have been playing Zombies, Run! on my iphone while running recently. Though I am starved for some nice weather - I have managed to get in quite a few outdoor runs. Listening to the story unfold is pretty fun and engrossing. I feel like I am really part of the game. It has cool statistics and you gather items you can user later to build your base. Perfect for a gamer/runner like me! Looking forward to Zombies, Run! 2 which is due out this month.

Averaging about 12 miles per week which is nice - but not comfortable in any of my running shoes at the moment. I've been alternating between my Saucony Grid shoes - 8mm drop and my Newton Motions. Both with some pretty severe stability control. I was running more on the treadmill in my Merrell Trail Gloves but they were getting a bit ripe - so put them in the wash last night. I enjoy running in them, but lately my feet haven't felt good in any shoes. Parasthesia acting up lately - no matter which shoes I wear or what activity I am engaged in - desk-sitting included.

I'm going to try to get a soccer game in one of these Thursdays and use that as a benchmark for where I stand in the battle with MS. I have a hard time comparing my runs because I wasn't really a runner pre-MS - at least since high school. Soccer should give me a good indication.

My last run:



Hoping to stay with the steady increases to my run distance over the next 2.5 weeks before the MS Muck Ruckus 5 mile obstacle/mud run. Hoping my lifting routines will help with upper body strength during the course as well. I am feeling stronger, but still haven't lost my 8 lbs of winter insulation! I'm looking forward to getting back under 150 - I was 156 on the gym scale today with flip-flops on.

A few weeks after the mud run I plan to add another day back into my running plan. From 3 to 4 days per week, then cut back to 1 or 2 days strength training until the off-season. For now I want to concentrate on races - getting under 23 minutes for 5k and under 50 for 10k. Not sure I'll run a half or just a marathon this year - right now my plan is marathon for October. That seems far away, both time and fitness-wise.

Hoping against hope that my new shoes - which are out for delivery according to fedex/usps - will reinvigorate my feet, reduce my worries about my knees and straighten out my lower back, which has been suffering post-run lately.

I ordered two pairs of shoes - one for longer runs, and one for shorter 3-4 mile runs and races! Since my Merrell's were my favorite shoes I order a couple more pairs. The Road Glove 2 and the Vapor Glove. The Road Glove is for distance. The shoes look super-sweet!



And the Vapor, which is super-light, super-flexible!



I'm interested to see how they feel - hopefully I will have positive results next week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter 2015 Training Plan

Chilling at the Cape House

MuckFest MS 2014